Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Week Four Blog entry: Characters...

I chose Pheobe as my character to analyze. Pheobe first appears in the book in Chapter 9, but is discribed by Holden in Chapter 10. "You'd like her. I mean if you tell old Pheobe something, she knows...what you're talking about."-p.67 From the very first time Holden discribes her, it almost seems like she is the girl version of Allie. Holden discribes her so similarly to Allie. Holden likes that Pheobe will listen to you and not put you down when you say something, she tries to encourage.

Throughout the book Holden does or says things for/about Phoebe. He buys a record for her when he is in New York. "I was lucky. The first record store I went into had a copy...I could hardly wait to get to the park to see if old Phoebe was around so that I could give it to her."-p.116 He doesn't want to hurt her in any way, and when he is drunk he breaks the record, "Then something terrible happened just as I got in the park. I dropped old Phoebe's record. It broke into about fifty pieces."-p.154 He says that he feels terrible, and he keeps the pieces. I am not sure what he was planning on happening about the broken pieces, if he was going to give them to her or not*. *
I am pretending like I haven't read ch. 21 and 22, and that I did this post earlier :). When Holden talks about Phoebe he seems very happy, and in a different state of mind. I think that he tries to make things not as hard on her when he makes certain decisions.

1 comment:

  1. very interesting, and I guess it's true, Holden does describe Phoebe like he does Allie. However, along with listening to him she challenges him to explain. Which I think is rather significant. Anyways, yeah...that's all.

    ReplyDelete