Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Chapters 9-11 & Stuck between two worlds(part2)

Today I read Chapters 9 through 11 of The Catcher in the Rye . Holden is now finally away from Pency and out on his own. [He has not contacted his family]. Holden tries to act or pretend to be older to get with girls and get alcoholic beverages. He stays in a hotel by himself, and he also notices all the phonies, and other "bad influences" (people). I really think that Holden wants to be an adult and a child; depending on his mood. In these chapters his mood makes him want to be an adult, but for the wrong reasons. He does not want any of the responsibilities that an adult has or anything like that, he just wanted to be older so he could do things that were illegal for him to do as a minor. When he talks about his sister Phoebe, he talks the world about her. He loves her so much, and describes her very much similar to his brother Allie. When he describes both of them in the book, they are very similar, and he just seems in this rut and starts saying things over and over about his younger siblings. I think at these points, Holden wants to go back and have the feeling of being a sweet innocent child again, and go back and make different decisions. One of the things that I struggle with is that I don't want to get any older. Every year I get older, more and more responsibilities come to me. I love being a mature young adult, but the word that scares me is adult. The word that means I have to do things on my own. In a little over two months I will turn 17; this scares me because it just seems so old, and I don't want to feel old. I have felt more stress on myself from school every year since I became a teenager. However, there are some people that are teenagers, or younger that want to be older or an adult, so they can get out of their parents house, or be able to do "cool" things. I think that most of the time Holden puts out or tells himself that he wants to be an adult, so he can do his own thing; but deep down, he wants to be a child again, and because he keeps it put away so much he is closer to being an adult (a very immature adult), than to being a child-like person/teenager. At some points in his walk in life, it is a toss up for him. It is also hard to categorize him as an "adult", because he really is just acting like a very young person, and he doesn't want to deal with the responsibilities dealt to him. In most of the Chapters nine through eleven, he is trying to act like an adult; or just act old enough to seem old enough.

3 comments:

  1. I like your post a lot! I always think about how my life is almost 1/4 over. It amazes me. I think that you made some very good points in there about being an adult/child:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the idea that holden talks about Phoebe a lot because he loves her.... I just did my week three thing on a paragraph about that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please divide your blog into paragraphs. Whenever I read your blogs I find myself reading
    "do things on my own. In a little over two months I will turn 17; this"
    "do things on my own. In a little over two months I will turn 17; this"
    and wondering why it looks so familiar.

    ReplyDelete