Thursday, April 30, 2009

important/insightful passage

"I got up closer so I could hear what he was singing. He was singing that song,"If a body catch a body coming through the rye."... It made me feel better. It made me feel not so depressed any more. " -Holden p.115
Holden is in New York and he is walking on the streets towards Broadway so that he can pick up an album for his sister, Phoebe. After he gets the album, he goes back on the street and sees a family whom he expects is poor and had gone to church (it was Sunday). There was a little boy who was walking on the street next to his parents who were on the sidewalk, and the little boy was singing while he was walking.

This song gives us, the readers, a connection to the title of the book The Catcher in the Rye . It is clearly something the author put in their on purpose. I am not sure how it ties in yet because we are not far enough into the book to know, but I think we will be getting some more insight towards the end of the book. Right now I am not even exactly sure what "catcher in the rye" means; though I'd imagine that it is essential to the ending of the book. It is hard to analyze this quote because I don't know where the book, is going, but I do know that it will be important later.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if that is an actual song?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did this same thing...and yes it is a song/poem. i agree that its so hard to know what this means right now but i hope that we do get to see what more its about. also in what the song means because its a weird song... i looked at it and tried to analyze it and it was sooooo hard. so im thinking im going to wait for the author to tell me what it meaans :)

    ReplyDelete